Sunday, March 15, 2009

Current Economy's Impact On Our Kids

We hear all the time about how bad the economy is and the measures that people are taking to tighten up and try to save money wherever possible. In our family, we have tried to cut back and eliminate some unnecessary expenditures and to just be more thrifty in general. Just imagine the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction I felt when I noticed that our kids were willing to do their part. Yesterday, as we were getting dinner ready, I noticed that I had not heard from Dallan in a while. As most know, with Dallan, that can be some cause for alarm. I seemed to have remembered him mentioning that he needed to go potty. Fearing the worst, I found him sitting happily on the toilet. I inquired what was taking him so long and if he had done "Number 2". Dallan isn't at the age where he is able to properly cleanup after he finishes, so usually he will call for us when he is done. I was a little relieved that he was still on the toilet and I went over and sat next to him on the side of the tub to wait for him to finish. As I sat there, I noticed that his bottom had poo squished on it, as if he had gone in his pull-up. I also noticed that the roll of toilet paper had been rolled back up and had a little brown smudge on the top piece. I asked him if he had gone in his pull-up. He said that he hadn't. I then asked him what had happened. He said that some poop had gotten on the toilet seat, but he assured me that he had wiped it off. Now, being suspicious, I began unwinding the rewound toilet paper. After three or four feet, I found the evidence that Dallan had indeed cleaned off the toilet seat. Apparently he must have unwound some of the toilet paper and, without tearing if off, used it to wipe off the toilet seat. At that point, just like anybody else looking to do their part in this tough economy, he simply rolled the toilet paper back up onto the roll. If it wasn't for the smudge on the last piece, I never would have checked it. Children sure know how to make their parents proud.

(Not actual roll!)

1 comment:

Caralee said...

Hilarious! Laugh out loud funny.